Monday, July 26, 2010

Evolution of a family

This is a good representation of the evolving nature of our family. Anyone who knows me could have never imagined that I would attempt to bake something like a peach pie. And yes, I attempted this peach pie... the first pie I have ever made! It was a sweet surprise for my husband after a day of fundraising for our ward's Boy Scout program. This is a good representation of my evolution. I have never had an interest in cooking or anything like it, but I am finding myself drawn to activities that I would have scoffed at just a few years ago. I feel like my creative side is coming out in a different fashion other than through sharp powerpoint presentations, positioning research papers, or something to measure my professional worth.

Speaking of changes over time, Ammon and I celebrated our second anniversary on July 19, 2010. Actually, we celebrated it a few days before on the weekend. For our anniversary we went to Mazza, a Mediterranean restaurant in Sugar House. It's really the only decent place in Salt Lake City to get that genre of cuisine. After that we went to see "Despicable Me," which was funny and yet predictable. Still, it was fun to get out for a night out with just the two of us.

Much has happened over the last two years in terms of big life events. We were discussing how many life changes happened to us and consequently we have learned to rely on each other more than if we had not been in these situations. The following happened in 2 years:
  • Quit our jobs in Washington, DC and Alexandria, VA
  • Move across the country to Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Get new jobs in Salt Lake City
  • Married in the Washington, DC temple in Maryland
  • Lisa's parents get divorced
  • Lisa's parents sell the home in Naperville, Illinois
  • Lisa gets pregnant, and we move into a 2 bedroom apartment (3rd move in a year)
  • Lisa has our first child, Elena
  • Ammon's brother gets engaged
I think there are a few other big life changers but I can't recall them at the moment. When I list them out they seem pretty small, but let me tell ya, we've had to adjust and change to fit these life changes like I never thought possible.

I feel like a completely different person than I was just a few short years ago. I have evolved and improved either by necessity or because it's going to help me in the long run. Ammon and I both agree that we're grateful that our prayers weren't answered in the exact manner that we expected. I could have never imagined such a wonderful and wild ride as I have experienced since I have started my own little family.

1 comment:

Emy said...

Lisa! Your pie is beautiful!!! I post pictures of food I make too. I can't help it, I am proud of my creations. No kidding you have had a lot of changes! Miss you!

Post a Comment